Aecon Releases Inaugural Sustainability Report
- Building the Infrastructure of a Better Tomorrow -
Toronto, Ontario – August 18, 2020: Aecon Group Inc. (TSX: ARE) today released its inaugural Sustainability Report, highlighting the progress, initiatives and commitments of Aecon’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) processes and strategies.
“Aecon is proud to release its first annual Sustainability Report, Building the Infrastructure of a Better Tomorrow, demonstrating Aecon’s evolving initiatives to embed sustainability in our operations and relationships with our clients, communities, investors and all stakeholders,” said Jean-Louis Servranckx, President and Chief Executive Officer, Aecon Group Inc. “The infrastructure Aecon builds is critical in enabling society to adapt to a changing climate, transition to a lower carbon, circular economy, and stay safe as the world endures an unprecedented global pandemic. Aecon’s goal is to be the number one Canadian infrastructure company and we recognize the important role sustainability plays in continuing to be a leader in the industry and the country. Together, with the collective efforts of our thousands of employees, we are dedicated to our sustainability commitments.”
The report outlines Aecon’s sustainability strategy, which spans beyond the construction of safe, resilient and sustainable infrastructure, and focuses on five areas:
- Our People: Aecon’s number one focus. We are committed to providing our employees with a safe, professional, passionate, diverse and inclusive work environment, with opportunities for career development and community involvement.
- Our Projects: Aecon has built, and will proudly continue to build, renewable, low-carbon and zero emission power generation, water and wastewater treatment and safe and efficient urban transportation projects. As we also begin operating, maintaining and rehabilitating certain of the assets that we have built – such as light rail transit systems and airports – we are taking a life-cycle approach that extends beyond the design and build phases.
- Our Environment: Aecon’s vision is not only to build sustainable infrastructure, but to build a better tomorrow. In this report we disclose our 2019 greenhouse gas emissions from our corporate operations, and in our future reports we plan on broadening our disclosure to an enterprise-wide emissions inventory while also setting meaningful targets to reduce emissions.
- Our Communities: Aecon plays an important role in the economic fabric of the communities in which we operate. We are focused on more than philanthropy – we strive to help build communities with a commitment to diversity and equality that will grow and prosper for years to come.
- Our Governance and Ethics: Aecon’s commitment to transparency, fairness, accountability and corporate responsibility inspires our actions, decisions and priorities.
Cynthia A. Williams, Osler Chair in Business Law, Osgoode Hall Law School and Co-principal Investigator, the Canadian Climate and Law Initiative, commented: “Aecon’s sustainability report is a model for how to do sustainability reporting well. Its report is clear, comprehensive, and specific, using best-in-class voluntary disclosure standards to produce a report that all stakeholders, including investors, will find extremely useful. Aecon is also to be commended for its leadership in recognizing that today’s infrastructure must meet the challenges of tomorrow, which definitely include climate change.”
To ensure that this mandate receives the highest level of executive focus, Aecon has appointed Yonni Fushman as Chief Sustainability Officer in addition to his role as EVP, Chief Legal Officer & Corporate Secretary. “Sustainability has always been deeply embedded in Aecon’s culture and reflected in our daily operations – while Aecon is proud to share the many initiatives that are underway, we also recognize that there is much work to be done,” said Fushman. “Moving forward, Aecon will continuously improve in establishing and measuring key metrics, setting meaningful goals and targets, and leading the industry in sustainable infrastructure construction and development.”
The complete report is available on Aecon’s website at www.aecon.com/sustainability and on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
As a Canadian leader in construction and infrastructure development with global expertise, Aecon Group Inc. (TSX: ARE) strives to be the number one Canadian infrastructure company. Aecon safely, profitably and sustainably delivers integrated solutions to private and public-sector clients through its Construction segment in the Civil, Urban Transportation, Nuclear, Utility and Industrial sectors, and provides project development, financing, investment and management services through its Concessions segment. Join our online community on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram @AeconGroup.
For further information:
EVP, Chief Legal Officer & Chief Sustainability Officer
SVP, Corporate Development & Investor Relations
Senior Director, Corporate Affairs
STATEMENT ON FORWARD-LOOKING INFORMATION
The information in this press release includes certain forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on currently available competitive, financial and economic data and operating plans but are subject to risks and uncertainties. Forward-looking statements may include, without limitation, statements regarding the operations, business, financial condition, expected financial results, performance, prospects, ongoing objectives, strategies and outlook for Aecon. Forward-looking statements may in some cases be identified by words such as "will," "plans," "believes," "expects," "anticipates," "estimates," "projects," "intends," "should" or the negative of these terms, or similar expressions and includes suggestions of future outcomes, including, but not limited to, statements about Aecon’s commitment to doing its part in transitioning to a lower carbon economy, Aecon’s ability to continuously improve tracking of environmental, social and governance metrics and to set and achieve its targets and ambitions, Aecon’s belief that it is well positioned to be a part of Canada’s sustainable future and to take advantage of climate change related opportunities and Aecon’s ability to effectively manage and mitigate climate-related risks. In addition to events beyond Aecon's control, there are factors which could cause actual or future results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or inferred herein including, but not limited to: the timing of projects, unanticipated costs and expenses, the failure to recognize and adequately respond to climate change concerns or public and governmental expectations on climate matters, general market and industry conditions, including the commercial viability and scalability of future emission reduction strategies, the failure to make implement and achieve our sustainability goals, including the inability to attract and retain critical sustainability-related talent and operational and reputational risks, and risks relating to the COVID-19 pandemic. Readers are referred to the specific risk factors relating to and affecting Aecon's business and operations as filed by Aecon pursuant to applicable securities laws. Except as required by applicable securities laws, forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Aecon undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.