Vancouver, British Columbia – April 2, 2008: Aecon Group Inc. (TSX: ARE) today announced eight new projects, awarded over the past several months, to be delivered by Scott Construction Group of Vancouver, totaling $337 million. Most of the projects will be delivered under construction management contracts, and have a total construction value of $337 million. Aecon holds a 49% stake in Scott Construction.
The projects include:
- A $200 million renovation and new construction project in downtown Vancouver, involving restoration of the historic Georgia Hotel, and construction of an adjacent 49-storey commercial/residential tower. The expected completion date of the hotel renovation is November 2009 and of the tower is November 2011.
- Construction of the Coast Hotel – a $48 million, 20-storey, 230,000 sq. ft. hotel with 220 rooms on the Vancouver waterfront. The project is expected to be completed in November 2009.
- Expansion and renovation of the Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia, including creation of new career and business centres, and the rebuilding of a 5-storey lecture theatre and library. The $45 million project is expected to be completed in October 2009.
- The design-build development of a $17 million, 84,000 sq. ft corporate airline hangar and 2-storey office facility for London Air Services (LAS) at Vancouver airport. This structure will utilize a steel building system to facilitate the 366 ft. clear span required for the movement and storage of LAS’s fleet of jets. The completion date for the project is set for October, 2008.
- The $17 million construction of Ginger, a 9-storey residential building in Vancouver’s Chinatown. The expected completion date of the project is July 2009.
- A $3.7 million Scott design-build contract, to construct a new 10,000 sq. ft. dealership, showroom and service bays for Steve Drane Harley Davidson near Victoria. The project broke ground in February and is scheduled for completion December 2008.
- A $4.6 million steel fabrication, supply and delivery contract for the “Enerplex” skating oval for the City of Fort St John in Northern British Columbia. This is an Olympic training facility and comprises two full size hockey rinks surrounded by the speed skating oval and a running track suspended above.
- The $3 million Research Laboratory at the University of British Columbia. This Design-Build project is a steel building systems project to be delivered by October 2008
“These new projects showcase Scott’s capabilities to take on diverse projects in Vancouver and throughout British Columbia,” said John Scott, Chief Executive Officer, Scott Construction Group. “These projects represent a healthy backlog for Scott Construction, and position us well to take advantage of the expanding economy in Western Canada.”
“Scott Construction Group is a growing force in Western Canada’s construction market, and a valued part of the Aecon Buildings Group,” said Robert McDonald, President, Aecon Buildings Group. “We look forward to continuing to support Scott Construction Group in its growth and expansion in delivering Construction Services in Western Canada.”
Aecon Group Inc. is Canada’s largest publicly traded construction and infrastructure development company. Aecon and its subsidiaries provide services to private and public sector clients throughout Canada and internationally. Aecon is pleased to be recognized as one of the 50 Best Employers in Canada as published by Report on Business Magazine.